Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Game 2


While I may not have woken up to the strains of "I Got You Babe" this morning, I do have the sick feeling I've been through this before. And I'm not just talking about a Detroit Lyon losing. As much as I've tried to repress the memories of the 08 Bullpen, seeing Brandon Lyon "pitch" made visions of Grilli, Farnsworth, Fossum, and Jones flash through my head. A 3 run jack to blow the lead, just like a punch to the stomach. As soon as the Jays had a runner on base in the 9th, I was sure how it all would end for the Tigers.

But 2 games into the season is way to early to focus on the negative (we'll see about that if Miner goes nuclear tomorrow). The story of the game should have been Edwin Jackson. 7 and a third of manly pitching. 89 pitches, 60 strikes. Nice fastball, wicked curveball, and in control. But a hanging breaking ball by Brandon Lyon nets Edwin a no decision. Credit the Tigers for not rolling over in the top of the 9th. A Brandon Inge jack tied it up and gave the other Brandon a chance to redeem himself. Why he was out there is beyond me in the first place. It seems to me Jim Leyland thinks guys can work themselves out of jams, when they should even be in a position to get themselves into jams to begin with. Why let Brandon Lyon throw over 35 pitches? If Ryan Perry's good enough to be on a major league roster, he's good enough to take the mound in the top of the 9th in a tie ballgame. Now I know wins tomorrow and Thursday and we'll all be singing a different tune. But 0-4 going in the home opener...there's not enough Jack Daniels in the world to get me through this season

Tigers 4 Blue Jays 5
W: Ryan (1-0)
L: Lyon (0-1)

No comments: