Tigers 0 Royals 4
W: Bannister (1-0)
L: Rogers (0-1)
- Placido Polanco ended the game again with a strikeout in the 9th. He is now 0-10 on the season
- Also Jacque Jones and Gary Sheffield have yet to record a hit this season.
- At what point does Marcus Thames come into the picture, regardless of match-up?
- Rogers had a very good stretch in the 2nd and 3rd, needing only 12 pitches to get 6 outs. Most of the day though Rogers seems to be behind the KC batters. This caught up to him in the 6th were the Royals hit 3 doubles to break the scoreless tie.
- Edgar Renteria was the only bright spot, notching the only 3 hits for the Tigers.
- Royals pitching retired 13 straight Tiger hitters from Renteria's single in the 4th until Carlos Guillen drew a walk in the 8th off of Leo Nunez. Bannister was responsible of 12 of those outs.
- Bannister's key was getting a first pitch strike (whether called or swinging) on almost every Tiger he faced.
- Zach Miner saw his first action of the season. He pitched a great 7th, getting the side out 1-2-3 on 9 pitches. He ran into trouble in the 8th though. A lead-off double and a walk (ball four being a wild pitch allowing Joey Gathright to 3rd), before setting down to strikeout the next two batters. Billy Butler and Mark Teahen singled to drive in two more, before a baserunning error by Butler finally got the Tigers out of the inning
- Yorman Bazardo started out shaky with 5 straight balls in the 9th. He recovered partly by Pudge-aided strike 'em out/throw 'em out. Then he induced a comebacker by Tony Pena to end the inning.
W - L
0 - 2